Wednesday 4 July 2012

My love and respect for Frank Ocean just grew. I just read his letter or note or whatever you want to call it in a screenshot format uploaded on his tumblr account (www.frankocean.tumblr.com). He described how he fell in love for the first time with a man. It was beautifully written and I felt how genuine his words were. Now I don't personally know what it's like to 'come out', but towards the end of the note, there was definitely a sense of bravery in his tone and I felt that he was very relieved that he has written this.

This is the letter/note from Frank Ocean's tumblr page. (www.frankocean.tumblr.com)

He actually has a debut album that is going to be released in about two weeks time titled "Channel Orange" and many critics may say that this is just a gimmick and for attention. Usually, I would say the same. But I think this is actually the perfect time for him to come out and I'm not even saying this only because I am his fan. In his song "We All Try", he sings, "I believe that marriage isn't between a man and woman but between love and love". When I first heard this, I didn't really think much about it and I had no idea it was something rather personal to him. I just thought it was really good lyrics and can be a quotable quote that all the cool kids at tumblr can overuse. Now that he has came out and his debut album is about to be realised, I think his fans will have a more personal connection to his music. I am sure that there are thousands of people out there that are or were in the same position as him regarding his sexuality and I believe that through his music, he can encourage many people to be brave about this. I also respect the way he came out. He did not cause a big scene about it, yet I know it had a really big impact on everyone who read it. His words were beautiful and inspiring. I respect him for being honest about his sexuality. For being brave. I know I'm not the only one  who thinks this. And I know his music and his words will reach out to many people out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment